Monday 22 October 2007

Gutsy!

So, I installed Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) on saturday and updated everything and installed everything I wanted (including all the Ubuntu Studio components) and so far, it's been good.

A couple of notes on certain things:
  • The new Ubuntu Studio theme is alright. I like the all black panels, as it means the blend in nicely to the background. I've changed the window decoration back to the old Feisty one so I can tell a fullscreen window from the panel.
  • GIMP 2.3 was a great improvement over 2.2 and I'm hoping 2.4 will be even better.
  • I still can't get my external monitor working the way I want it to, but there should be a new ATI driver out soon, which will hopefully fix that problem.
  • The new way XGL/Compiz is set up is great as you don't have to faff about with configuring Xorg and whatnot.
That's all for now, more to come as I discover various things.