All in all, it's been a learning experience. I've learnt:
- Macs have an odd bug which means that if they're not connected to the internet while you install the OS, they'll decide it's 1904 and Linux doesn't like that...
- I have no clue how to shutdown a mac running OS 9
- As simple as it looks, ZynSubAddFX will slow an iMac down quite easily
- As impressive as Linux can be, it's hard to impress with it quickly other than playing with Beryl and going "look at teh cube!!!11"
- Don't let unsupervised college students go for lunch when what you're teaching them isn't mandatory...
In other news, despite my original post about not wanting to switch to Ubuntu studio just yet, I have switched! I discovered I could "upgrade" to it without losing anything, so I did. It's pretty damn awesome, even if I can't use XGL with the low-latency kernel. Even if you don't fancy using it, I highly recommend installing the theme as it's beautiful. My former theme, while similar and also beautiful, suffered from some readability problems, so this is perfect ^_^